As Your Brain on Porn has been continuously engaged in vigorous debate around the subject of compulsive pornography consumption since before 2011, our website certainly doesn’t take issue with, or fear, opposing views. Sexual health experts are welcome to offer views about internet pornography’s effects that differ from our views.
We thrive on debate as we believe that the facts surrounding the issue, along with the research, support that problems often emerge when people use too much internet pornography. But to this day, not many pro-porn activists have been willing to engage in substantive debate with us, resorting instead to unsavory tactics such as straw-men, lies, personal attacks, harassment, and defamation – and now, trademark infringement, impersonation, and domain-name squatting.
While we encourage these intellectual opponents to share their pro-porn views for us to continue to refute with facts and citations, they are not legally permitted to impersonate us. Table of contents:
- At long last, porn addiction deniers openly function as an agenda-driven collective (RealYBOP “experts”)
- Trademark infringement and targeted harassment: Details
- Why not revert to ScienceOfArousal.com?
- RealYBOP Twitter account: Attempted trademark grab includes a Twitter account with a pro-porn industry agenda
- The experts create a Reddit account (Sciencearousal) to promote “RealYourBrainOnPorn.com” while disparaging Gary Wilson & the legitimate “Your Brain On Porn”
- The “experts” create two aliases to edit Wikipedia, inserting links to RealYourBrainOnporn.com while deleting legitimate material about pornography’s effects
- May 1, 2019 cease and desist letters to those behind the infringing site (the “Experts”)
At long last, porn addiction deniers openly function as an agenda-driven collective (RealYBOP “experts”)
While we welcome opposing views, we think it worth pointing out that many members of this new collective of RealYBOP “experts” are well known to YBOP and other porn skeptics. Some of them are authors of outlier studies and many parrot unsupported pro-industry talking points, which find their way into biased (placed?) mainstream press articles (Nicole Prause, Marty Klein, Lynn Comella, David J. Ley, Emily F. Rothman, Samuel Perry, Taylor Kohut, William Fisher, Peter Finn, Janniko Georgiadis, Erick Janssen, Aleksandar Štulhofer, Joshua Grubbs, James Cantor, Michael Seto, Justin Lehmiller, Victoria Hartmann, Julia Velten, Roger Libby, Doug Braun-Harvey, David Hersh, Jennifer Valli).
A few of the experts regularly mislead journalists, their colleagues, and academic journal editors about the true balance of internet porn research. On social media and in lay articles they promote their small collection of cherry-picked, outlier papers, and/or misrepresent the true implications of their data. Visit this page to see critiques of some of their most questionable progeny.
While many of these “experts” have regularly collaborated on social media or co-authored academic or popular articles, each member of the RealYBOP has until now purported to be an independent and unbiased purveyor of truth and science. Yet YBOP and many other porn skeptics have long known that various members of this cliquish band of “experts” conspire overtly and behind the scenes, manipulating journalists, sharing talking points, emailing governing bodies, and even influencing the peer-reviewed process in dubious ways (these 2 pages provide extensive documentation of said behaviors: page 1, page 2).
The two most vocal and best known, Nicole Prause and David Ley, have engaged in overt and covert defamation, harassment and cyberstalking, targeting groups and individuals who believe, based on the objective evidence, that today’s porn might be causing significant problems for some users. Few of their targets are aware of Prause and Ley’s long history of misconduct and disturbing malfeasance. The following pages document hundreds of incidents over several years:
- Nicole Prause’s Unethical Harassment and Defamation of Gary Wilson & Many Others
- Nicole Prause’s Unethical Harassment and Defamation of Gary Wilson & Many Others (page 2)
- Nicole Prause & David Ley libelous claim that Gary Wilson was fired from Southern Oregon University
- Prause’s efforts to have Behavioral Sciences review paper (Park et al., 2016) retracted
- Article by University of Wisconsin student newspaper (The Racquet) posts false police report by Nicole Prause (March, 2019)
It seems likely that Prause is a key participant in the RealYBOP website and related social media accounts, as:
- The content, studies, and phrasing of the illegitimate site and tweets mirror Prause’s previous propaganda pieces and social media posts. Curiously, PornHub was the first to retweet the new Twitter account’s maiden tweet, even though the new Twitter account had no followers yet. How did PornHub know of its inception?
- The press release, site and related social media accounts target Gary Wilson (overtly or covertly), and Prause has been obsessively harassing Wilson for 6 years.
- This appears to be Prause’s second attempt at creating an agenda-driven website. In 2016, it seems that Prause created a username called “PornHelps,” which had its own Twitter account (@pornhelps) and a website (with a forum no one used) promoting the porn industry as well as outlier studies reporting “positive” effects of porn. “PornHelps” chronically badgered the same people and organizations that Prause also often attacks. In fact, Prause herself would sometimes team up with her apparent alias “PornHelps” to attack individuals on Twitter and elsewhere in tandem. For documentation, see Was Nicole Prause “PornHelps”? (PornHelps website, @pornhelps on Twitter, comments under articles). All accounts deleted once Prause was outed as “PornHelps.”
The URL for this website (YourBrainOnPorn.com) was registered in 2010, has some 20,000 unique visitors a day, more than 11,000 pages of content, and has long functioned as a well-known clearinghouse for information related to internet porn’s effects. For almost a decade it has been linked to by thousands of other websites, and mentioned in numerous news articles or podcasts, as well as being cited in several peer-review studies. The host of the site is also the author of a highly regarded book entitled Your Brain On Porn, first published in 2014.
On January 29, 2019, Prause filed a trademark application to obtain YOURBRAINONPORN and YOURBRAINONPORN.COM. These marks have been used by the popular website www.YourBrainOnPorn.com and its host Gary Wilson for nearly a decade – facts well known to Prause, who has frequently disparaged the latter website and its host since 2013.
In April, 2019, a blatant trademark infringement campaign was launched targeting YourBrainOnPorn.com. A new website with the URL realyourbrainonporn.com appeared, just a few days after the website ScienceOfArousal.com (see above) had appeared. As explained above, the later URL, featuring much the same cast of self-proclaimed “experts,” replaced the earlier ScienceOfArousal.com. Use of the URL for the latter redirected its visitors to the second (infringing) site’s URL.
The new imposter site attempts to trick the visitor, with the center of each page declaring “Welcome to the REAL Your Brain On Porn,” as the tab falsely proclaims “Your Brain On Porn.”
When the link for the imposter site is emailed it appears as “Your Brain on Porn”:
When a RealYourBrainOnPorn (@BrainOnPorn) tweet is retweeted it appears as “Your Brain on Porn” and “YBOP (our most frequently used nickname)”:
The URL for the counterfeit site was registered on March 13th, 2019:
Although the Whois Record withholds the identity of the registrant, those apparently responsible for this unlawful trademark infringement can presumably be found among the infringing site’s so-called “Experts”: https://www.realyourbrainonporn.com/experts.
To promote their new site, while maliciously disparaging Gary Wilson and the legitimate YourBrainOnPorn, the creators of the imposter site created a Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BrainOnPorn), YouTube channel, Facebook page, and published a press release.
Twitter account: Judge for yourself whether the imposter site and its “experts” further the interests of the porn industry or the authentic search for scientific truth by perusing this collection of RealYBOP tweets. Written in Dr. Nicole Prause’s distinctive, misleading style, the tweets extol the benefits of porn, misrepresent the current state of the research, and troll individuals and organizations Prause has previously harassed.
Press release: In a further attempt to confuse the public, the press release falsely claims to originate from Gary Wilson’s home town – Ashland, Oregon. (None of the imposter site’s “experts” live in Oregon, let alone Ashland.)
In addition, the creators of the imposter site registered a reddit account (user/sciencearousal) to spam porn recovery forums reddit/pornfree and reddit/NoFap with promotional drivel, claiming porn use is harmless and disparaging YourBrainOnPorn.com and Gary Wilson (see their reddit comments below). These comments, in Prause’s style, promote her studies, attack the concept of porn addiction, disparage Wilson and YBOP, belittle men in recovery, and defame porn skeptics. It’s important to note that Prause has a long, documented history of employing numerous aliases to post on porn recovery forums.
On April 25th, the Sciencearousal username appeared on Wikipedia, inserting links and deleting legitimate material about pornography’s effects. (On April 17 one of Sciencearousal’s aliases tried to do the same: SecondaryEd2020). See the scienceofarousal Wikipedia edits below. This campaign of misinformation is business-as-usual, as these 2 pages have documented over 30 apparent, illicit sock-puppets of Prause (one of the new site’s “experts”), which she has created to insert her propaganda and defame individuals and organizations: page 1, page 2. (Wikipedia’s rules prohibit sock-puppets.)
The legitimate YBOP, this website, stands by its brand, services and resources and is taking legal steps to address the infringing and unfair activities of the “Real Your Brain On Porn” site.
Why did these self-proclaimed experts change their site name to mirror our website’s name, when their first-choice URL was ScienceOfArousal.com? Proof: copy & paste this URL into your browser. It will redirect you to “realyourbrainonporn” – https://www.scienceofarousal.com. Why do they now claim that they have been censored by a request to cease their trademark infringement, when they could simply revert to their erstwhile brand name ScienceOfArousal.com and continue to operate freely and legally?
SCREENSHOT FROM APRIL 16, 2019, when SOA first appeared
We have never attempted to censor opposing views and critiques, unlike one of the Alliance “experts,” Dr. Prause, who has repeatedly tried to remove evidence of her behavior with groundless DMCA takedown requests. We simply ask that that these vocal spokespersons hold forth from their original pulpit, the URL and brand name “Science of Arousal” (ScienceOfArousal.com). And that they relinquish the subsequent name they employed along with the corresponding trademark application (for a name that YBOP has operated under for almost 10 years). Why do they engage in these apparent attempts to suppress traffic to our website and confuse the public?
On to RealYBOP’s social media accounts.
“RealYBOP Twitter account”: Attempted trademark grab includes a Twitter account with a pro-porn industry agenda
Here is a full collection of tweets by the new site (all of which are written in Prause’s distinctive, misleading style). These were compiled for legal reasons. Judge for yourself, do they further the interests of the porn industry or the authentic search for scientific truth? Below we offer select RealYBOP tweets, revealing Prause’s familiar agenda.
Note: the twitter account for RealYBOP has yet to tweet a study reporting negative outcomes related to porn… even though the vast preponderance of pornography studies report negative outcomes. This alone exposes both accounts as promoting the porn industry’s agenda.
We start with the very first tweet by Real YBOP. Notice that about half of the retweets were by accounts associated with the porn industry. Note: As the RealYBOP account had no followers at that point, it means these accounts were likely notified via email. In fact, PornHub was the second account to retweet this, indicating a coordinated effort between PornHub and the RealYBOP account!
PornHub was the second account to retweet the above, but a RealYBOP listed expert, Victoria Hartman, was the first:
Evidence that RealYBOP Twitter and website are in cahoots with the porn industry?
Just as Prause often does, RealYBOP trolls an account that claims porn use may cause problems:
Trolling another porn skeptic:
Just like Prause, RealYBOP attacks state resolutions about porn:
RealYBOP tweeting under a Ley tweet libeling Gary Wilson (Prause & Ley’s top targets are Wilson and YBOP). Who else but Prause would do this?
Just as Prause often does, RealYBOP cites Taylor Kohut’s oulier non-quantitative study on relationships:
Taylor Kohut’s skewed qualitative paper is thoroughly dismantled here: Perceived Effects of Pornography on the Couple Relationship: Initial Findings of Open-Ended, Participant-Informed, “Bottom-Up” Research (2016), Taylor Kohut, William A. Fisher, Lorne Campbell. The intention behind this Taylor Kohut study is to (attempt to) counter the over 65 studies linking porn use to negative effects on relationships.
RealYBOP trolling Skeptic Magazine editor Michael Shermer (who published 2 articles by Gary Wilson and Phil Zimbardo).
- How porn is messing with your manhood, by Philip Zimbardo, Gary Wilson & Nikita Coulombe (March, 2016)
- More on porn: guard your manhood—a response to Marty Klein, by Philip Zimbardo & Gary Wilson (April, 2016)
Prause and Ley have often disparaged Dr. Zimbardo: Summer, 2018: Prause & David Ley attempt to smear renowned psychologist Philip Zimbardo
Again, trolling a thread to spread propaganda and falsehoods. RealYBOP is lying about the World Health Organization’s diagnostic manual the ICD-11, as Prause did in 50 preceding tweets, and in her Slate article: Debunking “Why Are We Still So Worried About Watching Porn?”, by Marty Klein, Taylor Kohut, and Nicole Prause (2018).
RealYBOP mimics all of Prause’s favorite talking points in this second tweet.
Next up: Promoting a new study on female porn stars, which reported an expected finding: lower rates of sexual dysfunction than the general population. BUT RealYBOP did not tweet a study by the same research group, which found much higher rates of ED in male performers! The research survey of male adult film actors published in 2018 reported 37% of male porn stars, ages 20-29, had moderate to severe erectile dysfunction (the IIEF, which measures performance during partnered sex, is the standard urology test for erectile function).
Prause’s number 1 obsession. This tweet is about Gary Wilson and the study involving 7 Navy doctors, which has been a Prause obsession for 4 years running: Prause’s efforts to have Behavioral Sciences review paper (Park et al., 2016) retracted. The paper in question: Is Internet Pornography Causing Sexual Dysfunctions? A Review with Clinical Reports (Park et al., 2016). As of early 2019, Park et al., 2016 has been cited by over 40 other peer-reviewed papers, and is the most viewed paper in the history of the journal Behavioral Sciences.
Two lies in the RealYBOP tweet:
- Real YBOP lies about replication, as Park et al., 2016 was review of the literature, and the new study was survey data from a naval urology clinic. (You can’t “replicate” a review.)
- The authors of the new paper believe it supports the existence of porn-induced ED.
The authors of the current study do not agree with spin and omissions by “realYBOP.” The US Navy doctors believe their data lend support to the existence of porn-induced ED (see screenshots). They suspect sexual conditioning, rather than porn addiction (which is what YBOP has said for years). Graph:
The above study was presented at the American Urological Association’s 2017 meeting – Study sees link between porn and sexual dysfunction (2017).
In the following 4-tweet series, RealYBOP posts on Gary Wilson’s thread. Both Prause and RealYBOP blocked Wilson so they could sneak tweets onto his threads. Are they afraid that Wilson will debunk their misinformation?
April, 28th, 2019 – RealYBOP trolls a few old tweets by Director of Abolition for Exodus Cry, Laila Mickelwait. This is no coincidence as Prause has harassed and libeled Exodus Cry, their CEO Benjamin Nolot, and Director Laila Mickelwait. For details see this section of Prause page #2: February, 2019: Prause falsely accuses Exodus Cry of fraud. Asks twitter followers to report the non-profit to the Missouri attorney general (for spurious reasons), Appears to have edited the CEO’s Wikipedia page.
RealYBOP tweets under 2-week old tweet, misrepresnting the reserach (sounds exactly like Prause)
RealYBOP trolls another old Mickelwait thread, informing her that Norman Doidge is mistaken about porn-induced ED:
Here are some”actual scientists”: 30 studies linking porn use/porn addiction to sexual problems and lower arousal to sexual stimuli. The first 6 studies in the list demonstrate causation, as participants eliminated porn use and healed chronic sexual dysfunctions.
There are many more RealYBOP tweets on this page (which are collected for legal reasons).
The experts create a Reddit account (Sciencearousal) to promote “RealYourBrainOnPorn.com” while disparaging Gary Wilson & the legitimate “Your Brain On Porn”
On April 13, 2019 RealYBOP “experts” created a reddit account user/sciencearousal to troll and spam reddit porn recovery forums, usually posting wherever Gary Wilson’s name or “Your Brain On Porn” appeared. Until otherwise informed, we must assume that user/sciencearousal speaks (defames?) for all the “experts” listed on their collective website: https://www.realyourbrainonporn.com/experts.
Sciencearousal’s first post boldly references to the imposter site “Your Brain On Porn”:
Trolling a 2-month old post about Gary Wilson, disparaging him:
The above comments mirror those made by both Nicole Prause (and her many aliases) and David Ley. The defamatory and malicious comments began appearing in July, 2013, a few days after Wilson published a critique of Prause ‘s first EEG study. The comments are very similar in content and tone. In the beginning Prause employed dozens of fake usernames to post on porn recovery forums, Quora, Wikipedia, and in the comment sections under articles. Prause rarely used her real name or her own social media accounts.
That all changed after UCLA chose not to renew Prause’s contract (around January, 2015). Freed from any oversight and now self-employed, Prause began to put her name to falsehoods, openly cyber-harassing multiple individuals and organizations on social media and elsewhere. As Prause’s primary target was Wilson (hundreds of social media comments along with behind-the-scenes email campaigns), it became necessary to monitor and document Prause’s tweets and posts. This was done for her victims’ protection, and crucial for any future legal actions. These 2 pages document hundreds of incidents of harassment and documented defamation:
- Nicole Prause’s Unethical Harassment and Defamation of Gary Wilson & Others
- Nicole Prause’s Unethical Harassment and Defamation of Gary Wilson & Others (page 2)
Once again, comments mirror those made by Prause (and her many aliases), disparaging Wilson. In addition, Sciencearousal misrepresents the state of the research, promotes the porn industry’s agenda, and informs a r/pornfree member that porn use is positive for 99% of the population:
Sciencearousal trolls another thread mentioning “Your Brain On Porn”:
Sciencearousal trolls another thread mentioning “Your Brain On Porn”. She posts a comment in a one-person subreddit that spams NoFap. The pots is a 2012 rant about Gary Wilson’s TEDx talk, by ReaYBOP “expert” Jason Winters:
Jason Winters rant was thoroughly debunked on these 2 extensive pages:
- Empirical support for “The Great Porn Experiment” – TEDx Glasgow (2012): Slides 1-17
- Empirical support for “The Great Porn Experiment” – TEDx Glasgow (2012): Slides 18-35
Sciencearousal trolls a thread mentioning Gary Wilson’s book, disparaging both: Your Brain On Porn: Internet Pornography and the Emerging Science of Addiction
As Prause and her internet aliases have done countless times, Sciencearousal disparages Wilson’s TEDx talk:
There’s evidence that Prause (and some of the other “experts” listed on “RealYBOP”) harassed TED for 5 straight years… until its biased “science curator” gave in (the curator only has a bachelor’s degree in writing, not science) and placed an unmerited note on the talk. In reality everything in the TEDx talk is fully supported, with hundreds of new studies supporting its assertions since the talk was given (March, 2012). See these 2 extensive pages for scientific support for Wilson’s talk:
- Empirical support for “The Great Porn Experiment” – TEDx Glasgow (2012): Slides 1-17
- Empirical support for “The Great Porn Experiment” – TEDx Glasgow (2012): Slides 18-35
Sciencearousal continues to disparage Wilson while try to persuade the world that RealYBOP accurately represents the current state of the research (it doesn’t):
More inaccurate, unsupported claims by Sciencearousal. Continued attacks on Wilson:
Incidentally, the imposter site features cherry-picked studies, while excluding nearly every study linking porn use to negative outcomes (that is, the majority of porn studies). In those few RealYBOP studies listed that did report negative outcomes, RealYBOP omits such findings from its descriptions. Thanks to YBOP’s curated lists of relevant studies anyone can easily identify RealYBOP’s bias:
- RealYBOP omitted all 43 neurological studies on porn users and CSB subjects, except for Prause et al., 2015 (RealYBOP doesn’t tell the readers about the 8 peer-reviewed papers that say that Prause’s EEG study actually supports addiction model).
- RealYBOP omitted all but two of these70 studies linking porn use to less sexual and relationship satisfaction. It misled the reader on those 2 studies (and others in the “love” category): as both link porn use to poorer relationship satisfaction or more infidelity: study 1, study 2.
- RealYBOP omitted all 22 recent neuroscience-based literature reviews & commentaries, authored by some of the top neuroscientists in the world. All 21 papers support the addiction model.
- RealYBOP omitted every study on this list of over 25 studies linking porn use to “un-egalitarian attitudes” toward women and sexist views. It omitted this 2016 meta-analysis of 135 studies assessing the effects of porn and sexual media use on beliefs, attitudes and behaviors: Media and Sexualization: State of Empirical Research, 1995–2015.
- RealYBOP omitted all but two of the papers in this list of over 35 studies reporting findings consistent with escalation of porn use (tolerance), habituation to porn, and even withdrawal symptoms (all signs and symptoms associated with addiction). The two studies are by Nicole Prause and Alexander Štulhofer, whose carefully crafted write-ups mislead the reader: study 1 (Prause et al., 2015 – again); study 2 by Štulhofer.
- RealYBOP omitted all but three of the papers in this list of over 30 studies linking porn use/porn addiction to sexual problems and lower arousal to sexual stimuli. Not surprisingly, the 3 studies are by Alexander Štulhofer, Joshua Grubbs, and James Cantor. In a blatant example of science deniers misrepresenting their own studies, the actual data in all 3 papers in fact reported links between sexual problems and porn use or porn addiction: study 1 by Štulhofer; study 2 by Grubbs; study 3 by James Cantor.
- RealYBOP omitted all but two of the 26 studies countering the talking point that sex and porn addicts “just have high sexual desire” (same two papers misrepresented in the previous list: study by Štulhofer; study by James Cantor).
- RealYBOP omitted all the papers in this list of over 65 studies linking porn use to poorer mental-emotional health and poorer cognitive outcomes.
- RealYBOP omitted all 250 studies in this comprehensive list of peer-reviewed papers assessing porn’s effect on adolescents.
Sciencearousal posts, spamming porn addiction recovery site reddit/NoFap:
Incidentally, Prause has spent years defaming and harassing Nofap founder Alexander Rhodes. See these sections documenting Prause and Ley’s unethical harassment and defamation:
- July, 2016: Prause & David Ley attack NoFap founder Alexander Rhodes
- July, 2016: Prause & her sock alias “PornHelps” attack Alexander Rhodes, falsely claiming he faked porn-induced sexual problems
- October, 2018: Ley & Prause devise an article purporting to connect Gary Wilson, Alexander Rhodes and Gabe Deem to white supremacists/fascists (Prause attacks Rhodes & Nofap in the comments section)
- October, 2018: Prause follows-up the “fascist” article by attacking & libeling Alexander Rhodes and Nofap on twitter
- October, 2018: Prause follows-up the “fascist” article by attacking and libeling Gary Wilson on twitter, for the 300th or so time
- October, 2018: Prause falsely claims in a tweet that her name appears over 35,000 (or 82,000) times on YBOP
- David Ley & Prause’s ongoing attempts to smear YBOP/Gary Wilson & Nofap/Alexander Rhodes by claiming links with neo-Nazi sympathizers
- October, 2018: Prause tweets that she has reported “serial misogynist” Alexander Rhodes to the FBI.
- December, 2018: Prause joins Xhamster to smear NoFap & Alexander Rhodes; induces Fatherly.com to publish a hit-piece where Prause is the “expert”
- December, 2018: FBI confirms that Nicole Prause lied about filing a report on Alexander Rhodes
Sciencearousal posts 17 comments under the above post. Many comments involve defamation and disparagement of Wilson and this website.
This comment is identical to emails, social media posts, and Wikipedia edits by Prause. Prause fabricates a story that Wilson is being paid off by a charity. Not so, as documented.
For documentation of Prause’s lies and harassment related to the charity see:
- May, 2018: Prause lies about Gary Wilson in emails to MDPI, David Ley, Neuro Skeptic, Adam Marcus of Retraction Watch, and COPE
- May – July, 2018: In emails, in the ICD-11 comments section, and on Wikipedia, Prause and her sockpuppets falsely claim that Wilson received 9,000 pounds from The Reward Foundation
- Prause’s efforts to have Behavioral Sciences review paper (Park et al., 2016) retracted
- The exploits of “Janey Wilson” (Prause alias that harassed and defamed The Reward Foundation, Gary Wilson, Wilson’s publisher, and others )
Sciencearousal continues with falsehoods and disparagement:
As for cherry-picking, YBOP exposes many of RealYBOP’s “experts” as the cherry-pickers in this article: Porn Science Deniers Alliance (AKA: “Real Your Brain On Porn”)
Sciencearousal’s “expert” continues with defamation of Wilson and a Scottish charity:
More falsehoods and disparagement of Wilson and YBOP:
When called out for blatant trademark infringement, Sciencearousal accuses a r/pornfree member of “libel”:
Note: everyone on r/pornfree is aware of the legitimate YBOP, as a link to YourBrainOnPorn.com has been in the right-hand sidebar there for years.
When called out Sciencearousal responds by accusing the pornfree member of “misrepresenting the science”:
Pointing out blatant trademark infringement by RealYBOP is mischaracterized as “attacking scientists.”
Sciencearousal’s comments become increasingly bizarre:
No one accused anyone of “being in porn.” However, a few r/pornfree members wondered in comments if Sciencearousal might just be Prause. They, and the r/pornfree moderator, were obviously aware of Prause’s past history of employing various aliases to spread her propaganda on r/pornfree. Prause has long had an odd habit of creating most of her usernames from 2-4 capitalized words (i.e. GaryWilsonStalker). See list of her apparent aliases below. While many of the usernames and comment were deleted, a few examples with content remain:
When asked which RealYBOP “expert” they might be, Sciencearousal plays the victim:
Questioned as to ‘which model of what’ RealYBOP is claiming to falsify, Sciencearousal evades:
When asked for a second time to divulge identity, Sciencearousal resorts to disparaging YBOP and fabricating incidents:
Like Prause, Ley and some of the other RealYBOP “experts” often do, Sciencearousal disparages Don Hilton, Rob Weiss, IITAP and CSATs:
Several sections documenting Prause and Ley’s history of defaming and harassing CSAT’s, Don Hilton MD, and Rob Weiss:
- Summer 2014: Prause urges patients to report sex addiction therapists to state boards.
- Fall 2014: Documentation of Prause lying to film producers about Gary Wilson and Donald L. Hilton Jr., MD.
- Fall 2014: Documentation of Prause lying to film producers about Gary Wilson and Donald L. Hilton Jr., MD.
- 2015 & 2016: Prause falsely accuses sex addiction therapists of reparative therapy.
- October, 2016: Prause falsely states that SASH and IITAP “board members and practitioners are openly sexist and assaultive to scientists“
- May 20, 2018: Ley & Prause falsely claim that Gary Wilson & Don Hilton gave evidence in a case by Chris Sevier
- January, 2019: Prause falsely accuses gay IITAP therapist of practicing conversion (reparative) therapy.
- April, 2019: Prause harasses and threatens therapist D.J. Burr.
Sciencearousal tunes up a few days later on r/NoFap, telling us that masturbation, not porn is the real problem. (Apparently, porn must be protected at all costs, even if it means throwing masturbation under the bus.)
Prause and Ley have been campaigning to blame masturbation for over 3 years: Sexologists deny porn-induced ED by claiming masturbation is the problem (2016), while simultaneously insisting that anyone mentioning porn-related problems is anti-masturbation. (Huh?)
Sciencearousal on r/NoFap once again trying to convince men with problematic porn use that masturbation, not porn, is the real culprit. Also falsely claims that 7 labs have independently confirmed her assertion (simply untrue).
As for peer-reviewed data that quitting improves outcomes, see the first 9 studies on this page: Over 75 Studies demonstrating internet use & porn use causing negative outcomes & symptoms, and brain changes.
June 7th, 2019: realyourbrainonporn twitter account and reddit user scienceofarousal tune up on a smear campaign they initiated. RealYBOP falsely claims the “anti-porn” movement is rooted in hate groups.
Sciencearousal (Prause) followed up her post with what on the surface appears to be an uncharacteristically sincere answer:
However, closer examination reveals a link to one of Prause & Ley’s all time favorite propaganda articles: a 2016 David Duke article with a link to Gary Wilson’s TEDx talk. Ley and Prause have used this over and over to suggest (falsely) that Wilson is allied with Duke. That’s what sciencearousal is trying to do with her oh-so-reasonable comment (hoping not to be deleted). Disgusting ploy.
A few more examples:
Prause immediately retweeted it (then later deleted her tweet):
Wilson’s TEDx talk has some 11 million views, so thousands of folks of all stripes have linked to (and recommended) Wilson’s talk, “The Great Porn Experiment.” How does this implicate Gary Wilson as a “white supremacist?” It doesn’t, of course. This ridiculous assertion is like suggesting all dog lovers are Nazis because Hitler loved his dogs.
The “experts” create two aliases to edit Wikipedia, inserting links to RealYourBrainOnporn.com while deleting legitimate material about pornography’s effects.
On April 24th, the Sciencearousal username appeared on Wikipedia, inserting links to RealYourBrainOnporn.com and deleting legitimate material about pornography’s effects. This wasn’t Sciencearousal’s first attempt, as an alias (SecondaryEd2020) tried to do the same on April 17th. (Wikipedia’s rules prohibit sock-puppets, but pro-porn posters seem immune from its rules.) Screenshot of the Pornography Wikipedia talk page with SecondaryEd2020 and Sciencearousal, trying to convince other Wikipedia editors to allow her to cite “RealYourBrainOnPorn.com”:
Eventually Wikipedia banned both Sciencearousal and SecondaryEd2020 as sockpuppets of NeuroSex/Prause (several more sockpuppets are still being investigated): wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_sockpuppets_of_NeuroSex. (These 2 pages document over 20 apparent illicit sock-puppets of Nicole Prause, created to insert her propaganda and defame individuals and organizations: page 1, page 2.)
We present further evidence that Sciencearousal and SecondaryEd2020 and NeuroSex all are Prause.
April 14, 2019: SecondaryEd2020 attempting to insert “RealYourBrainOnPorn.com” into the Pornography Addiction Wikipedia page:
A few days later Prause created Sciencearousal, editing the Pornography Addiction Wikipedia page with material mirroring previous edits by other Prause sockpuppets. For example, Sciencearousal deletes well-known neurological studies by addiction neuroscientists (Neurobiology of Compulsive Sexual Behavior: Emerging Science (Kraus et al., 2016); HPA Axis Dysregulation in Men With Hypersexual Disorder (Chatzittofis, 2015):
Sciencearousal inserts the infamous 2016 AASECT proclamation (asserting sex addiction doesn’t exist) and disparages America’s top addiction experts at The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM). Numerous Prause sockpuppets have inserted the same edits.
It must be stated that AASECT is not a scientific organization and cited nothing to support the assertions in its own press release – rendering its opinion meaningless. Most importantly AASECT’s proclamation was pushed through by Michael Aaron and a few other AASECT members using unethical “guerrilla tactics” as Aaron admitted in this Psychology Today blog post: Analysis: How the AASECT Sex Addiction Statement Was Created. For accurate accounting of AASECT’s propaganda, we suggest: Decoding AASECT’s “Position on Sex Addiction, Here’s to Hope for a Change, Alternative Facts: AASECT and the Anti Sex Addiction Rant, and The Revealing Backstory to the AASECT Position Statement on Sex/Porn Addiction.
Giving herself away, Sciencearousal adds two Nicole Prause papers to the pornography addiction page: (1) Modulation of Late Positive Potentials by Sexual Images in Problem Users and Controls Inconsistent with ‘Porn Addiction’ (Prause et al., 2015), and Analysis of “Data do not support sex as addictive” (Prause et al., 2017)
Both papers thoroughly exposed on these 2 pages:
- Peer-reviewed critiques of Prause et al., 2015
- Analysis of “Data do not support sex as addictive” (Prause et al., 2017)
Sciencearousal went on to edit Prause’s other obsession, the Wikipedia page of academic publisher MDPI. As explained in other elsewhere, Prause is obsessed with MDPI because (1) Behavioral Sciences published two articles that Prause disagrees with (because they discussed papers by her, among hundreds of papers by other authors), and (2) Gary Wilson is a co-author of Park et al., 2016. Prause has a long history of cyberstalking and defaming Wilson, chronicled in this very extensive page. The two papers:
- Neuroscience of Internet Pornography Addiction: A Review and Update (Love et al., 2015)
- Is Internet Pornography Causing Sexual Dysfunctions? A Review with Clinical Reports (Park et al., 2016)
Prause immediately insisted that MDPI retract Park et al., 2016. The professional response to scholarly articles one disapproves of is to publish a comment outlining any objections. Behavioral Sciences’s parent company, MDPI, invited Prause to do this. She declined. Instead of publishing a formal comment, she unprofessionally turned to threats and social media (and most recently the Retraction Watch blog) to bully MDPI into retracting Park et al., of which I am a co-author with 7 US Navy physicians (including two urologists, two psychiatrists and a neuroscientist). In addition, she informed MDPI that she had filed complaints with the American Psychological Association. She then filed complaints with all the doctors’ medical boards. She also pressured the doctors’ medical center and Institutional Review Board, causing a lengthy, thorough investigation, which found no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the paper’s authors. Prause also complained repeatedly to COPE (Committee on Publication Ethics). COPE finally wrote MDPI with a hypothetical inquiry about retraction, based on Prause’s narrative that the “patients weren’t consented.” MDPI thoroughly re-investigated the consents obtained by the doctors who authored the paper, as well as US Navy policy around obtaining consents. On and on Prause went, including employing multiple aliases to edit MDPI Wikipedia pages inserting falsehoods about Wilson, his coauthors. and the paper. For much more, see: From 2015 through 2019: Prause’s efforts to have Behavioral Sciences review paper (Park et al., 2016) retracted.
Below are examples of Prause (as Sciencearousal) inserting her usual drivel. First, she tried to insert a mistake by the Norwegian Register, who accidentally downgraded MDPI’s rating from the normal “1” to a “0”.
The downgraded rating was a clerical error, and had long been resolved on the MDPI Wikipedia page. Prause knows the zero rating was a clerical error, yet she tweeted last month that MDPI was downgraded and that MDPI is a predatory journal (both are false and both are in Sciencearousal’s Wikipedia edit):
Prause (as Sciencearousal) also inserted her usual set of falsehoods related to Park et al., 2016 and Gary Wilson:
May 5, 2109: Sciencearousal appeals her ban as a sockpuppet of NeuroSex. Wikipedia informs her they made no mistake (they know she is lying):
As stated, we know of at least 30 other likely sockpuppets she has used to edit Wikipedia:
There are probably many more we don’t know about…. and many more to come. A few sections of the Prause pages documenting some her Wikipedia sockpuppets (aliases):
- May, 2018 – Prause creates multiple sock-puppets to edit the MDPI Wikipedia page (and is banned for sock-puppetry & defamation)
- The exploits of “Janey Wilson” (Prause alias)
- April, 2016: A Nicole Prause sock puppet edits the Belinda Luscombe Wikipedia page
- January, 2017 (and earlier): Prause employs multiple user accounts (including “NotGaryWilson”) to edit Wikipedia
- May 24-27, 2018: Prause creates multiple sock-puppets to edit the NoFap Wikipedia page
- February, 2019: Prause falsely accuses Exodus Cry of fraud. Asks Twitter followers to report the non-profit to the Missouri attorney general (for spurious reasons), Appears to have edited the CEO’s Wikipedia page
- April-May, 2019: Two “NeuroSex” sockpuppets (SecondaryEd2020 & Sciencearousal) edit Wikipedia, inserting RealYourBrainOnporn.com links and Prause-like propaganda
On May 1, 2019 the attorneys for the common-law owner of the trademarks “Your Brain On Born” and “YourBrainOnPorn.com” (this website) sent a cease and desist letter to all of those who appeared to be behind the infringing site (the “Experts”). A second letter also demands that Dr. Prause abandon her trademark-squatting application for the marks “Your Brain On Porn” and “YourBrainOnPorn.com.” Screenshots of Gary Wilson’s Cease & Desist letter:
Instead of complying with the letters’ reasonable, well documented demands, a number of the Experts responded with a derisory Twitter rage storm, baseless accusations that their “free speech rights” were being violated, and indications of malicious intent, such as threats to go to the press to have their infringing activities mischaracterized as “free speech.”
Here’s a Twitter response to the C&D letter by one of the experts, Lynn Comella, who incorrectly spins this as squelching her freedom of speech. PornHelp.org educates Comella. Eventually RealYBOP responds with a link that only Prause ever posts:
The old CBC link is mischaracterized by RealYBOP, as it has always been by Prause. It’s part of a very long saga, other highlights of which include Prause’s Twitter account being permanently banned, Prause publicly asking Gary Wilson about the size of penis…and so much more. See:
- December 2013: Prause’s initial tweet is about Wilson & the CBC. Prause sockpuppet “RealScience” posts same false claims on same day on multiple websites.
- December 2013: Prause posts on YourBrainRebalanced & asks Gary Wilson about the size of his penis (kicking off Prause’s campaign of calling Wilson, and many others, misogynists).
On the same Lynn Comella thread PornHelp.org educates a confused PhD:
Real YBOP “expert” Victoria Hartmann joins the fray: with same drivel about “free speech”:
Real YBOP “expert” Roger Libby joins the fray, claiming “intimidation” and “good science”:
A tweet by Chris Donaghue, disparaging Gary Wilson, was later deleted:
Real YBOP “expert” David Ley responds, claiming that he is regularly “threatened” (in all these years never provides a legitimate example of a threat). RealYBOP tweets “100%”:
Ley continues: (later deleted) –
RealYBOP (Prause) is getting one of her allies to write an article:
RealYBOP responds in her usual style:
More false claims about being silenced:
Prause & RealYBOP mirror each other’s tweets:
RealYBOP continues her rampage against Wilson:
Above tweet is nearly identical to 2 earlier tweets by Prause.
The journalist in question is Tracy Clark-Flory, who contacted Gary Wilson on May 22, 2019, with the following request:
I’m a reporter at Jezebel hoping to speak with you today. I’m writing about the recent conflict between the sites Your Brain on Porn and Real Your Brain On Porn, and I’m hoping to chat briefly by phone.
This means that Clark-Flory had been working on this story for 3 weeks before contacting Gary Wilson. Clark-Flory is sending a last-minute, so she can claim Wilson was contacted. For over 2 weeks, this notice has appeared at the bottom of several realYBOP pages:
There is little doubt that Clark-Flory’s article will be nothing more than a fictional account fed to her by Ley and Prause. Clark-Flory has a very long history of publishing stories in support of Prause and Ley’s agenda, usually claiming that porn use causes no problems or is largely beneficial. A few examples of Clark-Flory’s work related to pornography. Much bias?
- The best of Tumblr porn
- Is the government screwing pornographers?
- The war on lad mags
- Does porn cause violence? Morality in Media says evidence proves that porn causes does – but the faith-based organization is wrong
- Academia does porn
- Report: Sex addiction is BS
- Does porn hurt relationships?
- Study: Porn stars aren’t “damaged”
- GOP, hands off my porn!
- What is ethical porn?
- Santorum’s bad porn science
- Santorum is using kids to attack porn
- A new breed of porn CEO — female
- Porn is coming for your daughter!
- Anti-Porn Conservatives Turn a Porn Performer’s University Speech Into a Dumb-Ass Scandal
- Halsey’s Support for Sex Workers Has Nothing to Do With Trafficking
- Porn That Takes Senior Sex Seriously
- A Troll’s Alleged Attempt to Purge Porn Performers from Instagram
- The Porn Industry Is Rethinking How It Works With HIV Positive Performers
- ‘It Is Definitely Pee’: The Ecstatic, Pedialyte-Fueled Art of Performing Squirting in Porn
- This 1748 Erotic Novel Sure Can Describe a Dick!
- I.P Tumblr, Which Just Banned Porn
- Hugh Hefner’s Copy of Marilyn Monroe’s PlayboyIs Up For Auction for Creeps Into ‘Desperation’ Nudes
- Is ‘Feminist’ Porn Getting Its #MeToo Moment?
- Stoya Is ‘Over’ Talking About Feminist Porn
- Hundreds of Sex Workers Rally for International Whores Day
- Instagram’s Censorship of #Stripper Sparks Outcry from Sex Workers and Allies (Updated)
- How to Watch Porn, According to Shutterstock
- ‘Dwayne Johnson’ and ‘DJ Khaled’ Porn Searches Are Surging Because People Wanna See ‘Em Eat it
- Erika Lust Says She Has an ‘Ethical’ Alternative to ‘Mass-Produced’ Porn
- Inside the Feminist Porn Film Tackling Emotional Abuse and Fat-Shaming
- Facing SESTA and Political Threats, Sex Worker Organizations Brace for Fallout
- Checklists, Safe Words, and Interrupted Orgasms: How Directors Are Navigating Consent During ‘Rough’ Porn Shoots
- Pornhub Launches $25k Sex Research Grant for College Students
RealYBOP comes back with a bizarre tweet under a 2-week old libelous tweet by David Ley, who actually (falsely) stated that the “folks at YBOP threatened his life.” (This false felony-accusation is grounds for a “defamation per se” a lawsuit).
RealYBOP claims Wilson has a puppet account (he doesn’t) and of course fails to link to this imaginary puppet account.
Playing tag-team, Prause provides her legal expertise to the Twitterverse:
We all do. But perhaps she should read trademark law…as well as the 1st amendment.
Note: Your Brain On Porn will pursue any and all legal recourse to oppose trademark infringement.